The Oreo Incident

maryp

Let me just put it out there- I love fitness and healthy living. It has nothing to do with how I look, but everything to do with how I feel. When I’m eating healthy, I feel healthy and vice versa.

Now the flip side: I love desserts. Cookies, cakes, sweets of any kind. As a matter of fact, my two favorite hobbies are fitness and baking!

I’m a big believer in the 80/20 rule. (Or 75/25 or 90/10- whatever works for you.) By this I mean that I eat healthy the majority of time- about 80% of the time. But, I don’t deprive myself. I allow myself treats and indulgences, just not all day every day! Thus, the other 20%.

For some reason, when you maintain a healthy lifestyle, people automatically think you’re a weirdo about food. Just because I eat kale chips doesn’t mean I’ve never popped open a bag of Doritos and loved every second of it!

At work, my lunches are scrutinized on the regular. I tend to pack meals with mainly protein, veggies and fruit. My lunch pals often hit the cafeteria for nuggets and tater tots. I don’t mind their lunches at all (let’s be real here- tater tots are delish!), but the entire contents of my bag is often questioned or ribbed on.

Last week my lunch girls were eating Oreos and offered me one. I politely declined. Not because Oreos are the devil, but simply because I really wasn’t feeling an Oreo.

And… it became a THING. They begged me to eat an Oreo in front of them. I love my lunch crew, so I did. They were so excited to witness this historical event.

NICOLE ATE AN OREO!!!

Now, for my big, dark secret. I eat Oreos. And chocolate chip cookies. In the past 2 weeks I’ve eaten more Girl Scout Cookies than I care to admit.

7 days a week I start my day with a nutrient dense breakfast- Shakeology. 5 days a week I pack nutritious lunches to get me through the workday without an afternoon crash. Sunday through Thursday nights I usually cook healthy dinners at home.

But the rest of the time I enjoy life (and food!) without regrets. If we’re out watching a game, I’ll have some wings. If we go out for a nice date night dinner, I enjoy a meal, not a salad. If it’s someone’s birthday, you better believe I’m not passing up the cake!

So don’t give your healthy friends a hard time. We love food too! It’s just that we’ve chosen a different way of enjoying it. No one is perfect, and every clean eater has a not-so-clean meal here and there. Love your friends, love their choices, and maybe ask to try one of their kale chips.

But hands off my Valentine’s chocolate. That’s all mine!

Please leave your feedback below! And be sure to follow me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/fitnfabnj

Friday Night Yikes!

After watching the first few episodes of the new reality series Friday Night Tykes, I have so much to say that I don’t even know where to begin. (Check out the clip above for a point of reference!)

First, let me say that I 100% encourage children to participate in sports and physical activity. Obviously we have a bit of an obesity epidemic going on in America, and the younger kids are when they learn to love being active, the better. I also support teaching children the value of having a little bit of competitive spirit, and getting away from the “everyone wins, we don’t keep score” mentality as they grow a bit older.

That being said… holy smokes, this show is craaaaaazzzyyyy!!!

If you haven’t seen it, the show follows players, coaches and parents in the Texas Youth Football Association. Like any reality show, there’s plenty of yelling, trash talking and bleeping out curse words.

Oh, did I mention the players are 8 and 9 years old?

The coaches scream and yell until veins are popping out of their necks. Parents sit on the sideline watching, seeming to give their approval of this behavior with their silence. The families center their entire lives around football. One mom prides herself on her trash talking. And the one coach admits to marital problems due to his commitment to youth football.

WHAT?!?!

Let’s slow down. Let’s teach these kids proper technique, rules of the game, pride and sportsmanship. But, let’s do it without dropping f-bombs and yelling at a child for puking in the 90 degree heat.

Let’s teach commitment and discipline without shaming anyone or encouraging players to chant “f*** so-and-so” during stretches.

I’m not saying these kids need to be “soft” or “wimpy”, I’m just saying these adults need to take a child psychology class! Sadly, the madness of this show is so ridiculous, that I can’t seem to turn away…

Tuesday nights on the Esquire network. Check it out. What do you think?